Tuesday, January 11, 2011

a new home

My mother says that every time i come home from a new place, I always say "I want to move there". I think my mom is crazy in saying this because I always come home saying the reasons I wouldn't want to move there. Examples: Albuquerque, NM ("there is absolutely nothing to do there, and it isn't even pretty.") and New York, NY ("it's so cool, but it's dirty, too busy, and the weather sucks"). I pretty much never want to move anywhere because California consistently scores a 10 while every where else is like a 6 or 5. This weekend changed that. I have found my new city


Hello, Seattle


in the airport


pikes place market


space needle


top of the space needle


original starbucks


gorgeous


picking the nose of the fremont troll


seattle's street art is incredible.. i mean, just look at us girls! ;)


we even played wii with justin bieber! ;)


this past weekend was one i will remember for a long time. seattle is everything i had dreamed and hoped it would be. the city sprawls out over the hills endlessly, drawing people to its districts and markets. the colors are grey, blue, green, with hints of red and yellows glinting out in eye-catching fashion. the culture is bright and unapologetic, with local art and vibrant stores spilling themselves out all over. the buildings are tall and close together and people walk all over downtown in search of the nearest starbucks (which, by the way, are all over the place). the city has this film quality that looks deep and fulfilling. i can hardly explain it. it just feels right. there is water everywhere, reflecting the grey skies that match the feel of the city perfectly.

i'm not good with words i know, but let me express that i felt at home there in seattle.

we stayed at a friends house while she was on vacation with her kids and the family i nanny for here in san jose. she has offered numerous times to let me move in with her and to consider applying to UW for fall 2011. I'm highly considering it. What a cool opportunity that would be! :)

2 comments:

  1. I have lots of things to say for this post.

    I'm so jealous that you guys went to Seattle and I wish I could have tagged along- it's on my list of places to visit. And by your description, I want to go even more! A side note, these pictures are gorgeous (Especially the State Street Art ones)

    I can tell you how much you are loved and appreciated, but I can only imagine how hard it would be to be in a place where you don't necessarily feel like you are welcomed. I definitely try to actually listen to you, but it's not fair to you since I'm busy in Davis, while you are busy in San Jose. Even if it may seem out of the blue, don't hesitate to call me. I'd love to hear everything about Seattle- or at least don't be too surprised if I call you ;]

    Sometimes, a big change is needed (like moving somewhere new-heck that's what going away to college is like, even for me, only 2 hours away). The only thing is, place isn't everything if you feel like you have a tendency to self pity. Change has to happen from within as well. So a move to Seattle would have to be accompanied by a change within to embrace life, and to allow others to embrace you too-to be happy with the simple things-like the colors of the Seattle city, even if other things are stressing you out.

    I don't know if any of this makes sense. I want you to be happy. I don't want you to "run away" to Seattle because of how you feel in San Jose, but I definitely know what it's like to feel like a place is yours. I'm lucky because I love Davis so much. Location is a huge factor in life outlook, (the people are different as well)but I think it is a personal thing too.

    Sorry for this long, rambling comment. But I love you. And I'm here for you, no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your long rambling comments! i feel like that blog post went from being happy and positive to debbie downer pretty fast. (i need to get better at having a consistent theme to my posts haha)

    but thank you. i think the past couple weeks have been hard and so i'm just feeling a little ignored and left out. i know that if i moved, most of the change would come from within me. sometimes it's just nice to have a new surrounding. i never thought i would be one of those people who was like "oh my gosh, i just have to leave san jose, im sick of the same people", but it would be nice to just have a new perspective on things i think. you make a lot of great points. thanks for being there for me :)

    ReplyDelete