Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day Five: Love Songs

These are my top ten favorite love songs. I adore them because there is something real about each one. Their stories aren't candy coated and easy, there is real life lived in each one. I placed my favorite lyrics under the title. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Magic - Leagues (Leagues is a newly formed band who writes catchy yet delightfully good music. I plan on walking down the aisle to this song!)

"You and me, we've got something magic,
You and me, we've got something real.
You and me, we've got something magic,
You and me we've got something still.
Every day, every day, every day,
I feel it!"

2. Come Meet Me - Michael Rossback (Shy perfection and hopeful expectancy in a song)

"Come meet me in the middle of a rainy street
Just like we thought it'd always be
I've fallen for you, it's just what I do

Loving you will carry me til I meet you
and all the things that I'll go through
I do them for you, it's just what I do

My heart's on the wire
and I've given it to you
So much time's gone by
and still no sign of you

But I'll pull through
because everyday I pray for you
You're everything that I'll hold to
I've fallen for you, it's just what I do."

3. On the Wire - Michael Rossback (pure honesty about the pitfalls and beauties of relationships. I can't help but post the whole song :] )

"On the wire
We are holding to
You are onto me
And I'm onto you

We could take this slow
See just where it leads
Maybe drop the ropes
That they put on you
And me

This is everything I wanted
I'll make it everything you wanted
I'll be

Would you slow it down
Cause I've lost control
I'm not holding back
And you won't let go

So carry my name for a day
And see how it suits
I know you'll feel it
Maybe we'll make our mistakes
But I'll always know just what you're feeling

Cause I believe in love
I believe in love

So pull this car over
And let me love on you
Shadows of covers
Uncover you"

4. Gravity - Sara Bareilles (This so is not a happy love song, but it's raw. It's hard to understand exactly what she means unless you've been there.)

"Something always brings me back to you
It never takes too long
No matter what I say or do
I still feel you here 'til the moment I'm gone

You hold me without touch
You keep me without chains
I never wanted anything so much
Than to drown in your love and not feel your rain"

5. In Your Atmosphere - John Mayer (There is so much emotion here. It's another one of those "love is lost" songs, but he approaches it with such delicacy and understanding. John Mayer is a dang good song writer.)

"I'm gonna steer clear
Burn up in your atmosphere
I'm gonna steer clear
Cause I'd die if I saw you
I'd die if I didn't see you there
So I don't think I'm gonna go to LA anymore

I don;t think I'm gonna go to LA anymore
Get lost on the boulevard at night
Without your voice to tell me
I love you, take a right
The ten and the two is the loneliest sight

...

Wherever I go
Whatever I do
I wonder where I am in my relationship to you

Wherever you go
Wherever you are
I watch your life play out in pictures from afar"

6. Poison and Wine - The Civil Wars (Their voices meld together flawlessly.)

"I wish you'd hold me when I turn my back
The less I give, the more I get back
Your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
I don't have a choice but I still choose you.

I don't love you, but I always will."

7. Ships in the Night - Mat Kearney (who writes poetry into songs better than Mat Kearney? A song about making love work when it's the hardest thing you've had to do)

"Like ships in the night, you keep passing me by
We're just wasting time trying to prove who's right
And if it all goes crashing into the sea,
if it's just you and me,
trying to find a light-

Like ships in the night, letting cannonballs fly,
say what you mean and it turns to a fight.
Fists fly from my mouth as it turns south
You're down the driveway, I'm on the couch
Chasing your dreams since the violent fifth grade
Trying to believe in your silent own way
Cause we'll be okay, I'm not going away
Like you watched at fourteen as it went down the drain,
And pops stayed the same and your moms moved away,
how many of our parents seem to make it anyway?
we're just fumbling through the gray
trying to find a heart that's not walking away."

8. Don't Leave - Tyler James (isn't this what everyone thinks during these types of almost-relationships?? so great)

"Don't leave, I've got so much to tell you
and there's no more need to generalize.
I cant really change how you feel for me honey,
I just need some peace tonight.

If this should be the easy part
then why's it always seem so hard?
Cause all we do is analyze
and now i have forgotten why.

I thought you wanted me to love you,
soon as I do you're terrified.
I cant really change how you feel for me honey,
I just need some peace tonight.

Do you even know what you do to me?
Do you even know that its killing me?
But I don't mind oh i don't mind"

9. "I Go To The Barn Because I Like The" - Band of Horses (Yep, that's the title! This song is about the anticipation of a date. It's sweet, simple, and delicate. The vocals are fantastic.)

"I'd like to think I'm the mess
you'd wear with pride
like some empty dress on the bed
you've laid out for tonight
maybe I'll tell you sometime

...

Outside by your doorstep
in a worn out suit and tie
I'll wait for you to come down
Where you'll find me
Where we'll shine."

9. Southbound Train - Jon Foreman (I challenge you to find a songwriter more talented then Jon Foreman. He is simply brilliant in his honesty about life and love.)

"Oh, well the wind starts
To look like her hair
And the clouds
In her bright blue eyes
As the sea
And the shore fall and rise
Like her breast
As she breathes by my side
And the moon is her lips
As the sun is headed
On down to the sea
Like her head
As she lays down on me
Until we reach Oceanside
Over and over
I hear the same refrain
With the rhythm of my heart
And my sleepy girl's breathing
It's the rhythm
Of my southbound train"

10. Sight of Love - Michael Rossback (notice a trend? he is seriously fantastic)

"This could take a day or so,
Convince you what I already know.
And then you'll say you'll never wonder
What life could be with another.

And I'm holding on to you.
No one else will ever do.

Oh, the sight of love.
Can you make you wanna turn your life around
Make you wanna live for someone else,
Someone who relies on no one else."

10. 23 - Jimmy Eat World (I don't use the word 'epic' very often because it's such a 'bro' thing to say, but this song is the epitome of epic. So incredibly powerful. It's got music that just makes you FEEL the song before the words even start.)

"I felt for sure last night
That once we said goodbye
No one else will know these lonely dreams
No one else will know that part of me
I'm still driving away
And I'm sorry every day
I won't always love these selfish things
I won't always live not stopping

...

Amazing still it seems
I'll be 23
I won't always love what I'll never have
I won't always live in my regrets

You'll sit alone forever
If you wait for the right time
What are you hoping for?
I'm here I'm now I'm ready
Holding on tight
Don't give away the end
The one thing that stays mine"

Honorary Mentions!!

- "The Sound" - Paper Route
- "You Kill Me" - Paper Route
- "X & Y" - Coldplay
- "A Summer's Song" - Wavorly
- "Half of my Heart" - John Mayer
- "I Live Alone" - Sky Sailing
- "On The Wing" - Owl City
- "Elements Combined" - Fiction Family


My choices may seem homozygous in some ways, but there is an inescapable complete feeling that accompanies love music, whether it be bad love, good love, or hard love.

No comments:

Post a Comment