Tuesday, October 11, 2011

day six: capacity for love

There is a six year old I nanny every Monday and Tuesday who is one incredible little girl. She is quite feisty and throws me constantly for a loop, cheerful one moment and then anger like fire the next. While it's often a handful, I can honestly say that's the best thing about her.

Rena has a wide capacity for anger, more than most other children I've encountered. Once that dragon is stirred, it's hard to extinguish it. She turns on this "teenager" attitude that is quite unusual for most first graders, and can become more stubborn than a mountain in .26 seconds.

But for all that hype in a negative direction, I have never babysat a six year old with more love in her heart. She is the most cuddly little thing, who wants to hold my hand any time we walk anywhere, will sing along with me to Justin Bieber in the car, is always giggling, and whose zest and excitement for life is unmatched. She is smart, cheerful, and sincere. I love that she let's me see all the different sides of her, good and bad. She is comfortable with me and knows that I love her fiercely. She never misses an opportunity to snuggle me and tell me how much she loves me either. Being with her, her incredibly talented and kind sister, and their sweet older brother is one of the highlights of my week.

Yesterday Rena and I went to visit a family friend of ours, and upon leaving, Rena began to cry. I can decipher her cries pretty well now that I've been watching her for over a year, but this one was unique. It was heartwrenchingly sad to watch her hold tight onto Kim and not want to go back home. I've never seen her be so tenderly upset. She cried the entire way home, and as I carried her inside, all I could think about was how much she had grown in the past year, let alone this past month. She amazes me with her resilience and joyful heart. I am so proud of her.

Rena, I love you so much! Thank you for being such a little light in my life. I hope we stay friends for many years to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment